Thursday, June 25, 2009

Major Milestone Successes

I often receive comments about how difficult having twins must be or how I must have my hands full. I usually reply with, "It can be challenging at times, but it can also be SO much fun."

I have to say that with the trials of having twins, God has certainly been merciful toward me. We have somehow been able to get through most of the major milestones of babyhood/toddlerhood without much fuss.

Bottles - We got rid of bottles when the boys were about a year old. I anticipated much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but instead received little to no resistance!

Pacifiers - I have heard horror stories about kids who are 4 and still won't give up the pacifier. I was afraid of starting this habit with my infants, but quickly realized the benefits. Isaac gave up his pacifier in favor of his fingers around 8 months old...he has since given up the fingers as well. At 18 months we decided Connor's pacifier needed to go. He was already only allowed to have it while sleeping. He cried a little the first time he went to sleep without it, and that was the end of it.

Toddler Beds - Wow, this one scared me. I can't even count the number of stories I've heard about toddlers ripping their rooms apart as soon as they have the freedom of a bed instead of a crib. We switched the boys to beds when they were 23 months old. Beginning with night #1 they went right to sleep, and did not get out of bed. To this day, they stay in their beds (except to grab a book to sleep with). When they wake up in the morning, they stay in bed until we come to get them. I was (and still am) so relieved by this.

Potty Training - I have boys. They are 2 1/2. I am told this is a little young for boys to be ready to potty train, but Isaac has been showing signs of readiness. So, last weekend we decided to give it a try with him. I fully expected it to be a bust and for us to try again in a few months.

Day one ended with a total of 3 accidents, day two with 2 accidents, day three with 1 accident, and days four, five, and six were perfect! I am so amazed by this, and thankful. So thankful. I don't think I could have swished very many pairs of Thomas the Tank Engine underwear in the toilet before giving up & saving the training for another time. He is still newly potty trained, so anything can happen, but it seems to have been a success! Connor is not ready yet, so we'll tackle that when the time comes.

So, I'm not sure what's worse....challenging day-to-day life or challenging major milestones. Or worse yet, challenges with both. We do have challenging days when we are just going about our everyday routine, but I'm so thankful that the major milestones have not pushed me to the breaking point.

3 comments:

happygranny said...

You are SO blessed. I never had two the same age but often swore my children were possessed (yes even you Jenn:D) when conquering any one of the milestones you listed!

Nicki said...

Way to go on the potty-training! And I'm with you... for the most part, the major milestones have been pretty easy... we'll see what happens when it's time to tackle the toilet and toddler beds! :)

holmesfamily8 said...

I completely agree! I think it is a blessing, but I also think it is good parenting. Parents that can't let go of certain things and then the kids realize it and take advantage (i.e. the pacifier or bottle) and freak out until the parent gives in.

Potty training...not going as well here but I have been a little lax about it too. Hopefully we won't have 4 in diapers! Haha