Friday, January 23, 2009

Door Stop

Connor has always been an amazing sleeper. Ever since he could walk, upon hearing the words "Time for bed," he would run back to his bedroom with glee. He would fall asleep at almost the same instant that his head hit the pillow.

Then we moved Connor & Isaac from cribs to beds. Still, Connor was a champion sleeper.

Then he turned 2.

Now the child believes sleep is of the devil. Naptime is a battle. At night, he won't even lay down when we put him in his bed. I have to race him to the door to close it behind me before he escapes.

Once the door is shut, he plays with toys, messes with Isaac, and tries to turn the door handle to let himself out. Eventually, he realizes he's tired and he goes to bed.

Until last night.

Each night, I peek in on them to make sure they're sleeping okay before I go to sleep. Last night, I turned the handle & tried to open the door. It wouldn't open more than about an inch or two. My first thought was that Connor left a toy in the way. Then I peeked through the crack & realized that Connor was not in his bed.

Apparently he set up camp on the other side of the door in hopes that someone would let him out to play during the night. He was sound asleep. I wish I had a picture of this, but he got up when I pushed a little harder on the door to get him to move so I could get into the room. I don't think using his head as a door stop is exactly what he had in mind.

1 comments:

Amanda said...

That's hilarious! I used to sleep in the doorway as a child, but it wasn't because I wanted to play. . .it was because I was paranoid that someone would come and kidnap me and I wanted to be as close to parent's door as possible for a quick getaway to their bedroom (they wouldn't let me sleep in there because it became too habitual). Yeah, I was a paranoid child. :)